HomeMy StoryRecipes

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

MY BADGE and some other stuff too!

Oh Yea! My 2012 Aramco Houston Half Marathon "In Training" badge, baby! January 15th will be here very soon and I cannot believe that I will be taking on 13.1 miles! My passion for healthy living will come full circle when I cross that finish line and I can already tell it'll be an emotional journey for me :) Houston, HERE I COME!!! and now for Miso Soup, anyone?
I LOVE Miso Soup! It pairs perfectly with sushi and soybeans! However, I also like to eat it by itself! I love the flavors and although it has quite a bit of sodium, if I watch my intake and balance as we all should do with everything that we eat, it's ok in moderation.
Here's what Dr. Oz says about Miso:
"Belly Blaster #2: Miso
Why it’s a superfood: A traditional food of fermented soybeans which hails from Japan, authentic miso is brimming with good-for-your-belly probiotics, which help keep our gut flora healthy. Dr. Oz also recently discussed how this Japanese food lowers triglycerides, the fat in your blood that contributes to belly fat.

Dr. Oz’s Prescription: Pick up instant miso soup mix in the supermarket, but look for low-sodium varieties. Alternately, look for traditional red or white miso (sold as a paste) in the refrigerated natural food section of your grocery store. It makes simple but satisfying soup (simply add hot water), or an absolutely delicious marinade for fish."-
Dr. Oz
Healthier Miso Soup: adapted from Women's Health Magazine
2 Tbsp dried wakame
3 c water
1 packet (0.75 oz) dashi stock base (such as Dashi Moto)
2 Tbsp white miso
1 12 oz package silken-firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
1 c (about 3 oz) thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
1/4 c thinly sliced scallions
1/2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1. Soak wakame in warm water for 15 minutes or until fully rehydrated; drain.2. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add dashi packet; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove packet. 3. Ladle a half cup of dashi into a small bowl; whisk in miso and set aside.4. Stir tofu and mushrooms into pot; simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in miso mixture, top with scallions and soy sauce, and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 81 cal, 4 g fat (0.4 g sat), 349 mg sodium, 7 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein*The shiitake mushrooms are an added immunity booster to this soup. As well as vitamins A, K and iron.

Wakame A seaweed packed with the antioxidant compound fucoxanthin. It can be tough, so use kitchen shears to cut it into smaller pieces.Dashi the chicken bouillon of Japan. Made from dried fish flakes and seaweed, dashi is what gives miso soup its signature subtle fish flavor and light amber color. powdered, liquid concentrate, and stuffed in a handy packet like the one used in the recipe above.

**I have also seen instant, lower sodium versions of this soup and they taste great too!







Today's Workout: Well, I'll say yesterday's workout was great! My 5 year old and I ran 2 miles...yep, we ran side by side and he was ahead of Mommy, most of the time! Then we came home and my boys watched AND participated in Jillian's 6 week 6 pack, 2. They love mountain climbers and one of these days I'm going to video their workouts...HILARIOUS! They will do push ups, crunches and mountain climbers right beside me, but the other stuff-they say it's boring! HA!

5 comments:

WannabeRunner said...

That's so cute your boys work out with you. :) So excited for your race!!

Sam W. said...

we definitely need a video of your boys working out :)

Elle said...

We love miso soup too.. like to make up the miso and toss in a bit of tofu and greens, or edamame. Yummo.

I missed who won your Healthy Steps giveaway...

jillconyers said...

How exciting. january will be here before you know it! And yes it will be a very emotional experience :)

Love Miso soup!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is soon! You'll do great! I'm not allowed to eat miso because I'm on a soy limited diet, but I love it, especially with lots of seaweed (I occasionally eat seaweed by the sheet).