HomeMy StoryRecipes

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

the beauty of a journey...

Each of us have a story to tell. 
We come across people in our lives that will change our lives forever.
There are moments where we decide to take control and moments where we take the back seat..
We have moments that will make milestones in our hearts and minds...
We have times in our lives where we feel like we may never get through it...
We have times of happiness...
times of grief and sadness...
We have moments of defeat but also moments that define our strength!

With any journey, the FIRST STEP can hold so much power...
And each moment then becomes part of your story...
YOUR journey. So here's a glimpse into mine...
 
While many moments in my life have NOTHING to do with my health, my weight or my fitness level, in some way it all has become a part of who I am.  I wouldn't change that for anything in the world and while my weight loss story doesn't define who I am, it has played a huge role in the person that I am today...

 
We'll fast forward a bit with my story but this picture will represent defeat...yet, happiness too.
We were in NYC, visiting friends and having the time of our lives yet look at me?  I was probably at my heaviest or on my way to it.  I remember one evening ordering 20 McDonald's chicken nuggets AFTER eating dinner, just because I wanted to.  Wow. 
 
 
The college years...some of the greatest moments of my life but also a time in my life where food became my best friend.  I was smoking, drinking and eating A LOT.  I think I did it seven days a week, rain or shine...and it was never one without the other two, the lifestyle was
EATING, DRINKING, SMOKING. PERIOD.
I lived alone which was so dangerous for an emotional eater.  I could hide out all alone and consume thousands of calories.  No feelings, just numbness and the more I ate, the less I could feel.  (Today as I help women, I can see that numbness when they speak about their journey and that makes me sad.  I'd give anything to make that go away for them.) 


Suppose to be working in order here but this one doesn't want to cooperate so we'll take two steps back and bring it to Cotillion 1997, I think? I remember dress shopping...ugh.  Then I remember seeing my friends in the dresses I WANTED to wear but physically couldn't.  Wow that's an awesome feeling for a high school girl, let me tell you.  I danced the night away but somewhere buried in the back of my mind was the girl I am today, she so desperately wanted to be found...it was like she was always there, hiding. 


Let's take a big fast forward to our family of four!  The McClellen's...my whole world!  We're a cute bunch, huh?  We have had many adventures and of course these three boys fill up my heart with joy and love!  My husband is my best friend, I can't imagine life without him and my boys...well, they complete my universe!  These three are the reason that I do what I do EVERY second of every day...


and as we approach my 35th birthday, let's bring it back to my surprise 30th birthday party!  Oh such fun!!!  We laughed, sang karaoke, danced the night away and took many pictures!  A great night but as you can see...my weight loss had taken a back seat and weight gain had re entered my life after kids. 

I remember picking strawberries with my boys this day!  It was such a fun day and I remember vividly putting on this outfit and thinking, "wow you look great!"...so I was back on a roll to weight loss!  Woohoo! 
Below I was running like a crazy fool!  Mile after mile but I was slow and steady, no superstar speed running for me but I was increasing mileage and gaining speed so I was happy with that! This was also around the time that I completed my first half marathon!  What a milestone for me.   


Jan 2013, an important year for me! As you can see my husband hopped on board and was running like crazy, eating right and had decided to take a path to healthy living right beside me! I was feeling good but I was ready to take a new path on my journey.  I knew how to lose and then gain weight again, I knew how to maintain but did I know how to take it to the next level?  Nope.  Did I know that MY journey could somehow benefit others?  Nope. 
But I'd soon find out...


Jan 2014 was the same race but I had a different attitude...you see, my journey was only beginning.  In this race I had lost 40 more pounds since the Jan prior!  I had kept a promise to myself to keep going...sky's the limit this time! Also My Move It Mommas had become a group back in Sept and we were in full swing! 
It all makes sense to me now...
My journey, while it will never be finished and always changing has taught me SO much...
 
I am here to impact my children...Show them what not to do and hopefully teach them to take care of their bodies, always. 

I am here to help OTHER children find a joy in being healthy...
I am here to share my story, my journey with women all over...
We are here together to inspire and motivate one another to seek positive change! 
To stop living life from the sidelines, to stop spectating and START LIVING!


 
 
When I think of my story and my journey like that, then those moments of weakness, defeat and sadness are quickly turned into victory!  Because I did it!  I am doing it every day.  I am using my story and my journey to help others work on theirs. 
 
If I can make a SMALL difference in their lives, if they will spread that love of health and fitness with their family and friends then what do I have left to regret?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Every moment was worth it, the good ones and the bad.  They all shaped me into the woman that I am today.  We can't appreciate the journey until we are able to see WHY it was planned for us...but now I see and now I can keep working on who I am becoming every day...
 
If I wouldn't have taken that FIRST STEP then where would I be? 
Where will your journey take YOU??  I can't wait to find out with you!! 
 

No comments: